Sunday 25 September 2016

Day Three of the Plymouth Arts Weekender: Union Street and The House, Plymouth University

My contribution to 'What we talk about...'
Here it is, the final day of the event. Unfortunately, I haven’t been as involved in it as with the first two days. I think my artistic eye is beginning to tire. Nonetheless, I managed to attend one small exhibition on Union Street: ‘What we talk about when we talk about love’ by MarcellaFinazzi at Sloggett and Son. 
Walking in, it felt at first like any other antiquities shop, however, further back it became more like a domestic living space crammed with retro furnishings – a boar’s head on the wall, old bicycles, comfy chairs. I would describe it as homely yet foreign chic. The idea behind it was to take in the room and then write a note about what love means to you. My meaning was along the lines of love being a place where you can go with the one who matters to you – coincidental then, that a map of the Netherlands happened to be on the wall, the very place I had visited on two occasions with my special someone.
Julian Isaacs: A man at one with his creative side
I again had my companion Mark Jones with me today, and while he was willing to explore whatever exhibition I chose, my heart wasn’t in it anymore, and so we turned away from the simmering revelry of the Union Street Party and re-entered the town centre. Along the way, we spotted local performance poet Julian Isaacs strumming away on-stage, before passing what the Arts Weekender leaflet termed ‘the smallest exhibition space in Plymouth…probably’ in the window of The Zone – and it was pretty much just that. Steve Clement-Large’s ‘Probably’ was a small collection of items in a shop front which you could easily miss if you weren’t looking for it. I didn’t examine it too closely though, so any significance between the title and its components was lost on me. A further disappointment
Spot the Exhibition: Steve Clement-Large
was learning that Jo Beer’s collection of works at the Theatre Royal entitled ‘Fleshy’ was not open to the public until tomorrow. The glimpse I caught through the window though looked promising so I may return. However, I did have one last event for the day: ‘Music of motions and presence’ at The House. 
It was quite honestly the most original, haunting, and experimental piece of abstract music I had ever heard. The instruments seemed to come alive under the musicians’ hands, sometimes, with the aid of motion sensors, without even touching them. This was, of course, the aim: to create sound using gestures and the musicians’ body movements. Marco Frattini commanded a drum kit, a small set of acoustics, and an electronic drum pad, from which escaped sounds unlike anything I’d ever heard from such instruments: explosively metallic heartbeats, chaotic stampedes, and screams drawn out by running a violin bow along the edge of a cymbal. Running solo was Lara Jones on a saxophone, creating noises which ranged from the roar of a plane overhead to the discordant trumpet of several stuck elephants, with a classic jazz tune in between. To complete the trio was the most important figure of all: researcher, composer and performer Federico Visi. His instruments of choice included electronic drum pad, synth board, and guitar, the latter of which dominated my attention. There was an almost organic quality to the noises he drew from it, groaning, growling, lurking like a predator, at times giving me chills when he drew a bow across its strings. All of this combined to create an ensemble full of anxious energy, hints of the industrial classicism of steampunk, and ghostly
Calm before the Storm: 'Music of motions and presence'
reverberations caused by the musicians’ movements. It was truly otherworldly to watch Federico move his hands above his guitar and hear the notes being drawn out, as if his own body had become an instrument or, as in the principle of The Extended Mind, the instrument was part of him. I learnt in a short talk with him after the show that these performances are a fairly even balance between scored and improvisation so it’s not always clear what will happen next. To be honest, I could’ve listened all night; there’s just something about the distortion and uniqueness of such music that never ceases to amaze.
As, indeed, has this Plymouth Arts Weekender.

No comments:

Post a Comment