Wednesday 21 September 2016

You and Mr Spider

I don't appreciate flies inside the house that much, so it was only a matter of time before such a poem came into existence. I wrote this one 6 years ago and my hatred is still strong.

See it one second,
Gone the next
Like a thought you never quite had;
The fly droning slowly
About the room
Inspires murderous intentions.
‘Next time I see it,
It won’t be so lucky –
First thing to hand
Will be the last thing it sees,
And I don’t care if I make a mess!’
The insistent buzz
That drives you insane
As it circles above your head;
The sudden silence
When it lands on something,
‘I know it’s here,
Somewhere...’
A wild flailing of the arms
As the dog’s sneeze
Awakens the fly.
You grab the Sunday paper,
Your only weapon against this invisible invader
And –
Sorry, I’m laughing so much
Watching you lose the war,
I’m hiding my tears of mirth.
An hour later, when you sit defeated,
Eating dinner in front of the telly,
I’m up on your ceiling

Eating your silk-wrapped enemy.

No comments:

Post a Comment