Saturday 26 August 2017

A Bowl of Shreddies

I am going to be submitting these pieces to a local Plymouth publication called Anthologia on the theme of 'Tradition', this first coming from a childhood tradition of going very early to an air show at the Kentish airport Biggin Hill and eating our breakfast in the car.

It’s 8.30am and I’m sitting in the open boot
Of my family’s white Volvo Estate
Clutching a blue picnic bowl of Shreddies
As I have done every year since I can remember;
My sister’s bowl is white,
She is shorter than me –
How long has it been since then?
We breakfast in Indian seclusion,
A bold patterned throw over the door,
Impatience for the coming day
Crowded in with the cool boxes and fold-up seats.
Soon, I know, the sky will become
The biggest stage I have ever seen –
My dad made sure of that by parking
As far from tall vans as he could,
Allowing for an unbroken swathe of blue
From horizon to zenith.
As I munch through my ever soggier Shreddies,
Memories of last year play out
In my mind’s eye:
A jet moving through the air
In imitation of a begging dog;
Star shapes in red, white, and blue
Fading into purple clouds;
A drawn-out thunderclap
Ripping the sky apart;
Biplanes stalling - falling
From precipitous heights.
Bowl empty, I am already salivating
For chilled chicken drumsticks and pork pies,
Wishing I could eat them on the roof
Closer to the display

In the big open sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment