Saturday 13 February 2016

Ocean's Changeling

I have been fortunate to attend a talk by the local Plymouth poet Caroline Carver twice now and both times, she posed writing exercises which produced, for me, some splendid results. This second is by far my favourite.

Didn't make much sense
until I was deeper in it than before;
until it had me deeper in it.
What could I do to escape?
It pulled so I pulled back,
it drew me in and I didn't like that.
Stop and think for just a heartbeat.
The fish tickle and tease,
tempt me deeper.
Can I really take that leap
or do I fight it again?
Big Blue throbs in his bones
the hollow rib rumble that vibrates
all the water around me
and his breath pushes the tide
in then out,
I am pulled
in then out
to the vacuum of his lungs.
I am hungry now,
starving, even,
but not for food,
no, air is my food
and I think I shall never
taste it again.
The depth keeps increasing,
the pulse slapping me awake,
then the pressure
anesthetizing.
Deeper my fish tail takes me
and now things do not see
they breathe the deep
and eat the dead
and they want me for their own.
With haunting teeth,
light asphyxiated,
life then no more,
I am no more
and yet better than before.
The surface isn't me
and I forsake it for good.
They call me sea serpent
siren of suicide,
but I starve, sink, sing
and suck at the guts
of the ocean floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment