Sunday 30 November 2014

Rain Stopped Play

This was a scene I saw while walking to school one day; a crisp packet twirling in the wind across someone's driveway, and being halted by an incongruous but determined crocus. It struck me as an odd encounter.

The somersaulting crisp packet
Dances for the pioneer of early Spring -
A little spray of lilac crocus
Steadfast in growing through a crack
In the crisp packet's domain.
'Why are your roots not over here?'
The Walkers Ready Salted asked,
tumbling over the flowerbed.
'My seeds fall where they may,
And so here I grow,'
Crocus whispered, shivering
As the wind pulled at her petals.
'Do you not fear being trampled
Out there in the open?'
The crisp packet asked,
twirling in circles around the flower.
'My life is as fragile
As the last month of Winter,
so no, I do not fear death.'
A little rain begins to fall
Filling the crocus like open hands,
And halting the plastic packet;
He holds his growing puddle
And starts singing,

For the wet spray of Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment